Friday, August 26, 2011

All Dining Halls Are Not Created Equal

I don't care what they tell you at Orientation.

Because more often than not, your dining hall is absolutely not the best on campus. The problem is, there is no handy list that tells you what hall offers the best meals. It's like a secret, underground society. You hear snippets of conversation around campus about the "awesome grilled cheese" at BBB and the "totally rad meat lovers pizza" at Ernie Davis, and you suddenly realize that you have been deprived at your own dining hall!

Don't get me wrong, Sadler is great. Lots of options and the macaroni and cheese is always discernible from the scrambled eggs. But when I went to Ernie Davis yesterday (which is a mile and a half walk across campus but totally worth it), it was like stepping into a whole new world. The kids that live in that residence hall are blessed. The atmosphere, the selection, the quality. Ernie is where it's at. But nobody at Syracuse told me that! I had to go hunting all by myself. It's like they are trying to keep the delectable goodies away from you.

Just know that when you are staring unhappily at  your plate of egg rolls, the kids at Ernie Davis are practically dining gourmet. And definitely take advantage of the nice weather now, before the blizzards make the trek across campus there impossible.

...even though I'm considering buying heavy duty boots (Denny!) to make it possible.

2 comments:

  1. From about the age of two you knew good food - it makes me smile to find that you still do! Katelyn, I'm going to LOVE following you on this journey. Thanks so much for sharing! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katelyn, Stony Brook was the same way. You always thought the food across campus was better, lol.

    ReplyDelete