Monday, August 29, 2011

I love the smell of classes in the morning!

Right, so. I have to make this particular post quick because gone are the days of fun Orientation events and free food.

That's right people - today REAL college started!

And I honestly didn't think it was possible to love Syracuse more than I already did. But after attending my first day of college class ever, I don't foresee myself ever leaving! I think I might try and make a career out of being a student here at SU.

So my first class (which started at the lovely time of 11:40) was the Nature and Study of Language, and it was in the biggest lecture hall I've ever seen. I wouldn't even really classify it as a lecture hall, but more of a mammoth auditorium. So anyways, I got there significantly early because you know. I get awful anxiety about being late. But being there early allowed me to get the best seat in the house! Which, knowing me, I'm sure all of you have guessed is right in the middle in the front row. Accurately classified as the Overachiever Seat of America, that is where I feel most at home. Then, true to college form, the professor walked in without saying much, and skipping attendance, put a PowerPoint up and class began.

I loved every second of it. No more immature classmates who aren't prepared, no more people who don't actually want to be in class, and no more agonizingly slow pace. The professor asked if everyone had done the assigned reading (I had read it twice) and then quickly moved on to the lecture.

A whole page of notes and an hour later, class ended. I made sure to introduce myself to the Professor with a very firm handshake and a question about the material, because how else would he remember me in a class of one hundred??

I then moved on to a very scary Communications 101 class with the Dean of Newhouse School. While relatively intimidating, she clearly knows her stuff and I look forward to her weekly quizzes.

One absolute great thing about college is that every teacher hands out a syllabus that maps out the entire course. Homework and everything. This is truly a gift...it's so easy to get ahead!

Which brings me to the end of my post, since I'm looking at about six hours worth of reading for my next set of classes.

I just absolutely love it here.

5 comments:

  1. I love you Kakin! I'm so glad you're having fun, and I can't wait to come visit you! Brecht says you scare him, but he's proud of you! Much love, Saresah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katelyn, you inspire me! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I'm so glad the real school is even better than you expected!!! You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katelyn I totally loved the syllabus, too! I used to tell my classmates, "The syllabus is your friend!"

    ReplyDelete