Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Free A's for Everyone!

Yesterday in my Political Theory class, where there must be at least 175 students, the Professor announced that we had all received one hundreds on our first two quizzes. Wait what? We didn't even have quizzes!

This teacher (the only one that doesn't follow the syllabus, I might add) announced on the very first day of class that we would have four quizzes throughout the semester and a final at the end. Pretty standard, I would say. He also told us that we would have the luxury of choosing what days we wanted our quizzes to be on, so he didn't schedule them when we had a million other midterms to worry about.

So we all decided on a day - October 7th - for our first quiz on the ideologies of John Stuart Mill. Well, October 7th came and went, with no quiz surfacing. I personally thought that maybe the professor had forgotten to make up the quiz, and that's why we didn't have it.

But then our date for the second quiz passed as well. I was beginning to freak out. How could he possibly grade us adequately at the end of the semester if he had no quiz scores to go by?? No essays? No tests! What?? It's just not how my brain works. I like it when teachers measure my progress through tests and quizzes. It reassures me that I'm doing a great job.

And at yesterday's class, the Professor said that since we all "posed intellectually stimulating questions" routinely during the class lecture, he decided to award us all with A's.

And while an A is great, and two A's are even better. I'm still a little bit concerned about this particular professor's grading policy. What happens when finals roll around and none of us are really sure what we are being tested on? It's a scary though, right? It's presenting a problem for me in my little homework driven bubble world.

I don't think I'll ever take a class from this professor again, even if he does hand out free A's. I need a teacher that will supply me with what I want - weekly quizzes and and some tests! Is that really so much to ask?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe, my darling Kakin, I mean just maybe there are aspects of learning that defy a quantifiable assessment. Maybe some students, ahem, : ) are so focused on their grades that they miss the more organic, vibrant, experiential side of the educational experience. Maybe you should take TONS of classes with this professor! Just sayin'! XO

    ReplyDelete