Saturday, October 29, 2011

LIN, NEU, BIO.

So whenever I'm feeling overwhelmed about something, my favorite thing to do is sit down and map it all out. The map could consist of a schedule for the rest of the day, for the week, or for what I just did right now - four years.

I know that college is about discovering something that you love. It's about trying new things and, ultimately, deciding what you might want to do for the rest of  your life. But the rest of my life seems like an awfully long time when I'm 18 years old and in my first semester of college.

But still. This is what I feel like sometimes - my mind is like an avalanche. I start thinking of one thing, and then before you know it, things just snowball into an impossible mess. How can I possibly accomplish everything that I want to do in this short time? How! How can anybody do it?

This is where the mapped out schedule comes in.

So right now my current dilemma is that I want to be a doctor. I'm 96% positive that it's what I want to do with my life. Unfortunately, I obviously didn't come in as a pre-med student and so I didn't take any science classes my first semester. And no Intro Bio/Chem/Organic Chem/Physics classes are offered in the Spring. So I have to wait until next year to start.

And then I get to thinking. How will I possibly be able to finish it all. The good news is that I planned out my remaining seven semesters here, and I have one whole semester left over! Which means I will still get to go abroad, be a doctor, and accomplish everything that I want to do.

So my life plan, as it stands right now, is this - major in Linguistics, with an Interdisciplinary Major in Neuroscience (because you can't major in neuroscience alone. There aren't even classes offered.) Take all of the pre-med requisites and work my to a degree, graduating summa cum laude. As it happens, I would else end up graduating with a minor in Bio, because of the way I scheduled and picked my classes. Personally, I think this makes me a very attractive candidate for medical school.

Anyways. After undergrad, you'll be able to find me at the Columbia University for Surgeons and Physicians, living in NYC. Well on the way to the rest of my life.

See? I feel better already.

I'm sure that by the time the semester is done, I will have multiple versions of these plans. One for being a journalist too, because I just don' know. But how does anybody know? People who have already graduated don't even know still.

I think I'll be okay. Don't worry about me (mom, Sara, Grandma, Aunt Sue, Aunt Sandi). I've got it all under control!

2 comments:

  1. Katelyn, never for even one moment, do I think that you won't figure it out! I have complete faith in you!

    ReplyDelete