Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Be good, build houses.

"Be good, build houses." The slogan for the Habitat for Humanity chapter here at SU.

For those of you who don't know, Habitat for Humanity is the organization that builds houses for families that are underprivileged or don't have the means to make ends meet.

Every Saturday there is a build in the city of Syracuse on the West Side...a scary neighborhood, to say the least. We go and actually build a house. I asked if there was any experience necessary and they assured me that there was not. That's good, because I have had zero interaction with any sort of power tool. Ever.

I'm really excited about Habitat for Humanity, because it is something that I have always wanted to do. I didn't actually realize that it was something I was interested in until I got here and read the flyer for it. But I guess that's what college is for! Broadening horizons and such.

I think it'll be a great way to do something for someone besides myself. Not that I'm selfish or anything. I just tend to get caught up in "me" stuff (i.e. homework, trying to be the best, more homework). Anyways, the first build is the second week in October! Yay for Habitat.

No comments:

Post a Comment