Friday, September 2, 2011

Walking: Embrace It.

What they don't tell you about college: You walk everywhere. Through the rain, through the one hundred degree weather, and (in my case) through the blizzards.

In an earlier post, I expressed concern over the fabled "Freshmen 15" because quite frankly, the thought of fifteen extra pounds on anyone is truly disturbing.

I am now here to tell you that I no longer think that will be a problem. I actually think that I'm losing weight here, due to the sheer number of steps I clock in everyday.

Let me tell you something about Syracuse University. It's known around the city as "the Hill". Yupp. That's right. The Hill! You should not take that very lightly. Everything it seems, is uphill. Even when it seems logical that you should be going downhill (like on the walk home for example) I swear, you are still on a steady incline. Maybe its all in my head, but I'm standing by that observation.

Now, I don't mind walking. I find it a wonderful time to organize my already organized thoughts. But I imagine that part of the reason I don't mind walking is because I am a certified lover of ballet flats. I reckon that the multiple girls I have seen that embrace high heeled shoes do not feel the same way about the walking distance.

You would think that they would eventually realize, after nights of blistered feet and sore calves, that flats are the way to go. And yet, they persist.

I have heard rumors that in the winter, they unveil this magical bus that transports students around the campus. Probably because the University doesn't want to be sued by students who get frost bite on their walks to class.

But for right now, walking is the only way to go. Love it. Become good at it (nothing is sadder than seeing a freshmen huffing and puffing up those stairs). Get a pedometer. Embrace it.

2 comments:

  1. All the world's philosophers and poets, from Aristotle to Nietzsche, Yeats to Frost, extol the intellectual stimulus of walking. Each step in a good walk is a moment of study. Consider the time well spent.

    ReplyDelete