Thursday, September 15, 2011

What? It's not all about the"A?"

Right so. As all of you reading this blog know, I'm all about perfection. From a very young age, and my mom can back me up on this, it's always been about getting the one hundred, getting the "A" in school.

When I was in the fourth grade, I used to cry every day over my homework because I had problems with long division. To me, those problems represented pretty much a set up for a life time of failure. My fourth grade self was very dramatic.

But, today in my Newhouse Seminar (a class for freshmen that is designed to make our first year experience easier) upperclassmen came and talked about their experiences in the Newhouse school and in the Communications field.

And this, out out of the entire eighty minute lecture, what what stuck with me the most : grades are not the most important thing.

People have pretty much been telling me this for my entire life. I just never believed them. Clearly, your GPA was what made you who you are. But the upperclassmen today stressed that at the end of the day, it's not the 4.0 that's going to get you the job. It's the experiences you had and the paths you forged that'll make the most difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment