Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Oh, the Choices!

Today when I walked out of my Linguistics class and out on to the Quad, it appeared that the colors of blue and orange had somehow instituted a world wide takeover, staring first on the SU Quad.

What was the reason for this steadfast showing of school pride? It was the Student Activities fair today! I of  course knew that the fair was today, it's been in my planner for months, but I didn't realize that it would be quite so epic.

I mean there were hundreds. Hundreds! Of tables set up. With signs, and glitter, and balloons, and really enthusiastic upperclassmen that kind of resemble the kiosk stand guys at the mall. You know the ones. That   you have to avoid eye contact with unless you want to be roped in for a free nail buff or something?

Yeah. That's what the fair was like. I had to try to keep my eyes averted unless I knew that I was really interested in something. Chemistry Sorority? No thanks. Women's Ice Hockey? Probably not for me. Interpretive dance? Close, but not quite.

But I did find some really interesting clubs and organizations to get involved with. By the time I left the fair, I was loaded down with flyers and I'm sure I had a very starry eyed, confused look on my face. It was kind of overwhelming.

So I put my name on the lists for...DanceWorks (Student run dance company), OrangeSeeds (Freshmen leadership), Habitat for Humanity, comm.UNITY (PR work for non-profits), Ed2010 (nationally recognized magazine networking club), and Women in Communications.

I'm pretty sure you would have to be super human to involved with all of these things, but no harm in getting my name out there. Who knows when Habitat for Humanity will become the difference in getting a job or losing it to a competitor?? Gotta think ahead!

Oh and. I forgot to mention. The Geology Club had by far the most enticing display. LOTS of glitter. Pretty rocks. Heather, you would of just eaten it up, you rock lover you.

1 comment: